This Foil Packet Trout cooked on the grill makes for easy dinner prep and even easier cleanup. Tender trout filets, seasoned with punchy garlic, fresh dill, and bright lemon are cooked in individual foil packets, sealing in flavor and moisture while making cleanup a breeze. With just a few simple ingredients, this recipe turns the humble trout into the perfect summer dinner.
Ingredients (Servings: 4)
- olive oil
- 4, 8-oz trout filets
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, roughly chopped
- 2 lemons, zested and sliced
- Preheat your grill (or oven) over medium-low heat to approximately 375 F.
- Prepare 4 sheets of aluminum foil, large enough to fully enclose the trout filets.
- Drizzle the foil with a couple of teaspoons of olive oil. Place the trout filet (skin side down) onto the foil.
- Season the trout to taste with kosher salt, black pepper, and paprika. Top with 1/4th of the minced garlic, 1/4th of the fresh dill, a few lemon slices, and a sprinkle of lemon zest. Over the trout, drizzle another teaspoon or two of olive oil.
- Fold the the aluminum foil up and over the trout, crimping the edges, until fully enclosed.
Repeat for the remaining trout filets.
- Place each foil packet onto the grill (or on a baking sheet in the oven).
- Close the grill and cook for approximately 13 minutes.
- Use tongs to carefully open each foil packet
- Close the grill, and continue cooking for 2 minutes more, until the trout easily flakes with a fork.
- Serve with an extra squeeze of fresh lemon.