This Dutch Oven Cornbread with Whipped Hot Honey Butter is as versatile as it is delicious. Able to be baked in the oven or cooked on a grill, it’s perfect for camping trips, cookouts, or anytime you want to avoid using your oven on a hot day! This cornbread is studded with whole kernels and topped with coarse sugar for extra texture and a touch of sweetness. But the best topping of all? Fluffy Whipped Hot Honey Butter. This butter adds just enough sweet heat to keep you coming back for more.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ⅓ cup melted butter, cooled (plus 1 tbsp for greasing the pan)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 15-oz can of corn, drained
- 2 tbsp coarse sugar (turbinado sugar)
- If using an oven, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. If using a grill, heat the grill to 400 degrees, using direct heat on part of the grill and leaving another section for indirect heat (leaving some burners off on a gas grill or arranging charcoal to one side on a charcoal grill). This is where the cornbread will be baked.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, granulated sugar, kosher salt, and baking powder.
- Whisk the melted butter, milk, and egg into the dry ingredients until just combined. Stir in the corn.
- Grease a 9-inch round Dutch oven or cast iron skillet with melted butter. Pour the batter into the Dutch oven or skillet. Sprinkle the top with the coarse sugar. Place the cornbread in the oven or over indirect heat on the grill and bake for 23-25 minutes, or until the top is a golden and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Serve hot.
Whipped Hot Honey Butter Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Whipped Hot Honey Butter Instructions:
Using a hand mixer or food processor, whip the butter for 1-2 minutes. Add the honey and cayenne pepper (adjust the amount of cayenne up or down according to your spice preference). Whip another 2-3 minutes, until fluffy.