Classic nachos, assembled over a campfire, make for a quick, fun, and delicious fireside meal. These nachos have all the traditional toppings, but cooking them over a campfire imparts a slight smokiness that takes them to the next level. Feel free to experiment with your favorite topping combinations!
- 1/2 cup jalapeño, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
- 1 bag of tortilla chips
- 2 cups of shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 cup of cooked and seasoned ground beef or shredded chicken (cooked ahead of time)
- 1/2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 cup of canned black beans, drained
- 1 cup of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of sliced green onion
- 1 1/2 cup shredded lettuce
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- sour cream or any other desired toppings
- Prepare the campfire: Build a campfire and let it burn down to a nice bed of hot coals. Alternatively, you can use a fire pit or a grill with a cooking grate, or a stove at medium-high heat.
- Create a flat cooking surface: Place a cast-iron skillet on a heavy-duty cooking grate over the fire. Make sure it’s several inches above the coals to prevent the nachos from burning.
- Prepare the nacho toppings: In separate containers or bowls, make sure the jalapeños, cooked and seasoned ground beef or shredded chicken, shredded cheese, black beans, diced tomatoes, green onions, chopped cilantro, and lettuce are ready to go.
- Heat the olive or vegetable oil in the skillet. Add the chopped jalapeños to the skillet and sauté, stirring frequently, until just beginning to brown and soften, about 3 minutes. Remove the jalapeños from the skillet and set aside.
- Assemble the nachos: Spread a layer of tortilla chips in the skillet, followed by a layer of cooked meat or chicken, then the shredded cheese and taco seasoning. Place a lid over the skillet and cook over the heat for about 3 minutes, then remove from the heat and allow to sit for an additional 2 minutes, until the cheese is melted (this may take slightly longer if using a stove instead of a campfire). Remove the lid and top the nachos with the black beans, diced tomatoes, green onion, jalapeños, lettuce, cilantro, and sour cream.
Enjoy your campfire nachos!